Monday, July 11, 2016

" We Lost but We Still Won" : Arkansas Finest Plays 2-Million Dollar Tournament


I heard that a team from  Arkansas by the name of Arkansas Finest got selected to play in a two million dollar tournament for the South Region ,which was held in North Carolina. Thetournment.com was hosting a tournament with a prize of 2-million dollars: it was a winner take all game series. 

This consisted of sixty-four teams from four regions competing for one, 2-Million-dollar prize.I called  Marshall Bonds III, a friend from college, and asked him how did the game go? He said, “We Lost, But We Still Won.” As he began to tell me the story of how his team only had five members and played a 36-minute-game by themselves, I was in shock of how they lost but they still won.

Bonds said “we were playing against Josh Shelby along with some other top athletes. We are nobodies compared to them we were just low D1, D2 and a few of us had only played college basketball.”

I asked him how did it make you feel to play against these top athletes…did you think your team would win.? Bonds said “To be honest Terica I was nervous. We were going to North Carolina with only six people and only five of us could play ;the other person was our coach. It was eleven of us on the roster but some of the team couldn’t make it and we ended up going to North Carolina with only six people."


Out of curiosity I asked Bonds …what happened to the other players? Bonds said “I can’t go into detail because they couldn’t go to North Carolina for personal reasons. A lot of people thought we wouldn’t make it this far but we made it. We had to go with what we had and all we had was six people . Even my team mate Larry said this an’t go be easy.”


The semi-pro team, Arkansas Finest, made it all the way to North Carolina. The difference between Arkansas Finest and their competitor B.D.B is that they only had five team members compared to B.D.B.'s eight team members. This left the Arkansas Finest with following five members, : DAndre Jordan Williams, Rashad Moss, Marshall Bonds III, Leroy Isler, Larry Williams. Along with them was Jerome McNeal Sr. as their coach.

My mind could not fathom the amount of pressure they must have felt. The first thought that ran through my mind was that... they wouldn't have any substitutes. The second thought that ran through my mind was that... these guys would have to give EVERYTHING they had in them to win this game.




This blew my mind. How can a team of five play a team of seven for 2-million dollars and expect to triumph?  The word triumph is a understatement Arkansas Finest  killed it on the court the entire game. According to Whistle Sports Live (1st half), of the game, the score was 30-24, with the Arkansas Finest taking the lead. According to Whistle Sports Live (2nd half, 5:11 mark), the score was 58-55, with Arkansas Finest taking the lead still. Shortly after, the game ended with a score of 65-77, Arkansas Finest down.



Bonds told me that after the game he gave thanks to God just for bringing his team to North Carolina. He said “Terica, we walked into a gym with just my team. We didn’t have anyone there from our home town supporting us in the crowd, but at one point the crowd began to cheer for us. It was the most amazing feeling. I can’t even describe it."


I then asked Bonds how did you have so much energy? Bonds said “I had this woman come back into my life and she began to speak positive words over me. She told me you may get down but you’re not out. she told me not to give up. There were times I wanted to give up but I just remember her words along with my favorite quote “Mind over Matter.” Then I remembered my favorite scripture “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."




At one point my team mate number 13 told me he was exhausted. I told him you’re not exhausted. He looked at me like I was crazy. I told him you’re not exhausted again. He began to stand up and I said you’re not exhausted he said I’m not exhausted! Then we continued to play and we gave the game everything we had. At one point I began to call on Jesus because I was getting tired. People began to look at me but I know there is power in Jesus’s name and I needed a lot of power."

So to answer your question in a nutshell I had people that God placed in my life, I had to Encourage Myself and I had to do this for my team. After hearing Bonds explanation of how they lost but still won even I can admit that Arkansas Finest definitely won that night. The only difference is that B.D.B. advanced to the next bracket. Even still Arkansas Finest played a 2-Million dollar game with all the odds against them.

Arkansas Finest gave it their all and in the last five minutes lost the game but won the respect of thousands. I asked Bonds who was the captain that night and he said " Terica we are a team  ... we really don't have a captain." I'm still not sure who lead the team that night but I know if a M.V.P. Award could be given . I would give it to every single team member that got on that plane headed to North Carolina.  Despite the odds being against them they still played one hell of a game. Arkansas Finest had the mentality to win and that definitely showed in the stats. It took a lot of stamina and those guys definitely showed that the quote “ Mind Over Matter” will never fail you. So even though they lost on the score board in my eyes they still won.


This team definitely lives up to its name “Arkansas Finest.”  They currently reign supreme out of eight other teams on the Arkansas Elite Basketball League roster.This group of young men is definitely the cream of the crop coming out of Arkansas.  Arkansas Finest ranks number 1 on the league roster with 12 wins and 1 loss.  I am proud of this group of men and wish them nothing but success and blessings. 


Go Register for the Elite Basketball League at  www.eblleague.com or call 5012494063/Email
eblleague@gmail.com










Be Blessed in all that you do,
Written By: Terica R. Lee
K.M. Speaks Blogger


Edited By: Tiffany La'Shay Hornes




No comments:

Post a Comment